MOOCs for Learning Languages are Finally Available!
In a post about using MOOC videos and subtitles to learn languages, I noted that none of the major MOOC providers were offering courses to teach languages. Luckily that has changed over time and there are now MOOCs for learning languages:
- On Coursera, you will now find a self-paced Mandarin Chinese for Beginners course that you can join at any time and EdX offers Intermediate Chinese Grammar starting March 16, 2015
- FutureLearn’s three week Introduction to Dutch course begins June 1, 2015
- Unfortunately, Auf Deutsch: Communicating in German Across Cultures still has no new start date (it was originally going to start in October, then November 2014) and it seems to have been removed from Coursera’s site
- Two Spanish language courses are also available on Coursera, though more for intermediate-advanced learners (and native speakers): Fundamentos de la escritura en español (Tecnológico de Monterrey, Mexico) and Corrección y Estilo en Español (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain)
- Miriadax.net offers elementary Spanish courses from Salamanca, Spain (completely in Spanish) and iversity offers Spanish for Beginners which begins April 21, 2015
- EdX will be offering some AP level courses for both French and Spanish in 2015: On-Ramp to AP® French Language and Culture (a 3 week preparation course) and Advanced Spanish Language and Culture
Although not courses specifically designed to teach the language, several courses in French and Spanish are available via the platforms FUN and Miríada X (as well as Coursera and EdX.) For German-language courses, try iversity and imoox.at
Dr. Wagner has a PhD in Linguistics and is dedicated to learning and teaching languages online and abroad. She has studied in Quebec and Australia, taught English in France, and is currently based in the US.