Work and Holiday Visas

For those who cannot afford to study abroad or who cannot do a teaching assistantship in Europe because they don’t have foreign language skills:

Travel and/or work in Anglophone countries: Work and Holiday Visas are a way to travel to a country for more than 3 months, and possibly work (legally!) to help fund your travels. The only problem is that many of them have age restrictions (for example, between 18 and 30), you cannot bring your dependents along with you (if you have any), and you must have enough money to begin with to prove that you can survive and go home in the end. Some also require that you still be a student or a recent college graduate.

Anywork Anywhere allows you to choose your country of origin so you can find out which work and holiday visas are available to you. For American citizens, the only actual work and holiday visa agreements are with Australia (though the site hasn’t been updated to indicate this yet – it was just created October 31, 2007) and New Zealand; but there are other work and travel programs in the UK, Ireland, and Canada.

BUNAC is another site for work and travel programs in Anglophone countries (but only for those from the UK, Ireland or USA), as well as volunteer and teaching opportunities.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
  • Sundarraj Jayaraj

    Nice Blog !!!!!!!!!!

    I am from India. My son is working in Australia. This summer I decide to go Australia ,what is procedure for visa application in India .let me know.

  • Sundarraj Jayaraj

    Nice Blog !!!!!!!!!!I am from India. My son is working in Australia. This summer I decide to go Australia ,what is procedure for visa application in India .let me know.

  • australian visas

    i am a student and i need the student visa, what formalities and criteria is necessary to get the visa. please elaborate.

Why is Jennie no longer in France?

I created this blog in September 2006 when I moved to France from Michigan to teach English. Many of the earlier posts are about my personal life in France, dealing with culture shock, traveling in Europe and becoming fluent in French. In July 2011, I relocated to Australia to start my PhD in Applied Linguistics. Although I am no longer living in France, my research is on foreign language pedagogy and I teach French at a university so these themes appear most often on the blog. I also continue to post about traveling and being an American abroad.


The 2nd edition of French Language Tutorial is available as a PDF book. It has been updated with much more vocabulary, sample sentences, and cultural information, plus extended vocabulary lists, cross-referenced topics, and an alphabetical index.

Visit the Store to buy the PDF e-book for $14.95 as an instant download or the paperback book for $29.95 + shipping (shipped worldwide by Purchase of the printed book includes the PDF book for free! Thank you for supporting!

French Today - Master the Modern French Language

21st century French audiobooks and audio lessons: learn to understand and speak modern French

Learn Spanish, French, German, Italian, Mandarin Chinese and English as a Second Language with authentic videos that include subtitles and translations.