If you are a US or Canadian citizen who would like to teach English at public schools in Spain, the North American Language and Culture Assistants program is accepting applications until April 1, 2014. Canadian applicants whose first language is French can also apply to teach French instead of English. This program is similar to the Teaching Assistant Program in France, though there are a few differences.
The requirements to apply are:
- Be a US or Canadian national
- Hold a minimum of a BA or BS by the end of the academic year preceding the start of the program, be a junior or a senior, or have become a university graduate. (Your major can be in any subject as long as you have basic communicative skills in Spanish and you do not need to submit tests scores to prove your level in Spanish.)
- Have English or French as the first language
- Be in good physical and psychological condition. It will be necessary to submit a complete medical evaluation signed by your doctor when it is time to apply for your visa.
- Have a clean background check. You will need to submit a background check when it is time to apply for your visa.
There is no age limit for this program, except in Madrid where the age limit is 35. Language assistants work 12 to 16 hours a week at elementary, secondary or language schools between October 1 and May 31. The monthly stipend is 700€ if placed outside of Madrid and 1,000€ if placed in Madrid. Renewing for another year is possible.
Not all regions of Spain participate in this program. You cannot choose the regions of Cataluña or Valencia, the Canary Islands, or the Spanish cities of Ceuta and Melilla on the northern coast of Africa. If you had your heart set on Barcelona, sorry! Also keep in mind that some autonomous regions, such as the Balearic Islands, Galicia, Navarra, and País Vasco have two official languages so you may not actually use Spanish as much in these areas. If you are placed in these regions, it would be worthwhile to start learning Catalan, Galician or Basque.
There is no application fee and the deadline is April 1, 2014.