Publisher Websites. A lot of publishing companies have companion websites for their foreign language textbooks. Most offer extra exercises in grammar and vocabulary, while some even offer free downloads of mp3s and a sample chapter.
- McGraw-Hill World Languages: Free audio downloads to accompany textbook & workbook (in the Student Edition section)
- Heinle World Languages: Mostly exercises; no free audio. Includes maps and transparencies for teachers.
- Pearson World Languages: High school level Spanish, French & Latin
- Glencoe World Languages: High school level Spanish, French & Latin
- From the Ashcombe School, MFL Video on Demand is a useful collection of native speakers talking about everyday things, such as family, education, holidays, etc. You can watch the video, and try a fill-in-the-blank exercise along with it to test your listening skills. Videos are available in French, German, Spanish and Italian.
- Oefeningen voor de Franse les is a Dutch site for learning French, based on the Carte Orange and Libre Service textbooks. It’s not too hard to figure out if you don’t speak Dutch, and if you already know a little French, you can just use it to learn Dutch instead. (For anyone else who speaks Dutch, DigiSchool is also a cool site for learning almost anything, including several languages – but in Dutch, of course.)
- Gramlink is a French site for learning German, English and Dutch grammar. There are exercises for almost all parts of speech, as well as grammar references for English and Dutch. [Some parts of this site do not work well in Firefox, so you may have to use Internet Explorer.]
- The University of Victoria has several exercises for beginning Italian available, and many correspond to the Prego! textbook. There is a also a site for beginning Indonesian.
- Swahili exercises to correspond to the Kiswahili textbook, from UCLA.
- A beginning Spanish site, with sound, from the Institute Cervantes of Manchester & Leeds.
- Cyberteacher.it includes exercises for English, French, Italian, Latin and Spanish, as well as other disciplines such as history, philosophy, sociology, etc.
- Turkish Tutor is an interactive video program from UCLA for increasing your comprehension of spoken Turkish.
BonPatron.com is also a neat site, though it was not created with Hot Potatoes. It is a spelling and grammar checker for French. You simply type or copy & paste a few sentences or paragraphs of French in the box and it will help you correct your mistakes.